Thursday, June 07, 2007

Name our bulletin contest...

I LOVE CHURCH BULLETINS...
The best of them keep us up to date...let us inside a little even if we are not there...give a congregation a personal touch and a personality...tell us the good stuff.

I’m sort of a church bulletin aficionado. When I first started preaching I thought that was a great place to get material, articles, ideas, and just to keep up with our brotherhood. So I wrote the 10 largest congregations in every state and then every congregation of over 400 members. When I would be speaking somewhere or on vacation or traveling I would carve out about an hour and call churches in that area and request to receive their bulletin or newsletter. At one time I used to get over 350 bulletins a week. Of course I didn’t read every word of every one but I would scan each one for ideas and over time I learned which ones typically had good stuff in them. I had several favorites (other than one’s written by family members, who’s I naturally enjoyed). I only knew the man by reputation and didn’t know a single member there but I would read Brother Jim Bill’s every week – what a writer! And then there was Paul Roger’s in Centerville – another favorite. Then there were some that the design and graphics were fabulous.

I’ve been editing a church publication now for 25 years. There was the Kossuth News, The Informer at Eva, also The Informer at Hamilton Crossroads in South Alabama, The Hamilton Herald in Hamilton, of course AIM at Granny White and finally our little bulletin here at Spring Meadows.

BUT our bulletin doesn’t have a name. So here’s your chance. What would you name our bulletin? Be creative. Have fun with it. Give me two or three of your best suggestions. I’ll pick some from there and we’ll take a poll.

The winners will get a free online subscription to our bulletin :) at http://www.smcoc.net/

I HOPE WE GET A LOT OF SUGGESTIONS. You can post anonymously.

Log in and fire away!

24 comments:

Dale's Spot said...

I might as well weigh in first. I like the name "VISION" Esp since we use the tag line: "A Place of Vision"

Someone e-mailed me in response the name: "The Way"

Tesney said...

How about, "Hello My Name is Dale and I'm a Bulletin-aholic"? Seriously, 350 a week!?! I'm pretty sure that's diagnosable.

Anonymous said...

Dale's diagnosable, all right........

Anonymous said...

I like VISION, but I'm really leaning towards The Millenium Falcon.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Phillip, I like VISION (in caps).

Anonymous said...

Here are a couple:
The Spring Meadows Sentinel
Onward And Upward

Anonymous said...

The Spring Meadows --Hay Fever"--Nah

"The Spring Meadows Dirt"--Nah

"The Spring Meadows Ragweed"--Nah

"The Spring Meadows Seedbed"--maybe, but --Nah

Seriously, You could take your cue from 2 Corinthians 2:15:
"For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing..."

So, how about...
"The Spring Meadows Fragrance"?

lc

Jeremiah said...

How about "Fields of Gold"? That's what spring meadows look like and it has a double meaning. Plus, you gotta go with Sting.
Jeremiah

Anonymous said...

The Planter @ Spring Meadows

Ricky P

Anonymous said...

In The Steps Of Jesus

Anonymous said...

I looked up some scriptures for Meadow and Spring I think I am not a very creative thinker... I only came up with

Spring Meadows News

or

Spring Meadows Update

as you have so much happening each week...

Or JOY from Spring Meadows...

bc

Anonymous said...

"OUR CHURCH BULLETIN"

That's my vote
utmost simplicity

Anonymous said...

How about:

Our Family Newsletter

Anonymous said...

Bulletin name:

SPRINGBOARD

The start of something great

DRM said...

I second the vote for 'Spring Meadows Update' - Simple, and you don't have to tie in some "theme" every time you write it.

Anonymous said...

OK, I vote for Springboard..

Ricky P.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dale, I only saw your "contest" today.

I have been trying to find works that equate to "vision" but not having much luck. How do you like "Edifier" and if you need a scripture, I Thess 5:11? I think Edifier is a word. I was knocking around "View" and "Outlook" and that is as far as I have gotten (this is the take on the vision word). By the way, got the edifier idea from John Parker's article in this weeks AIM.

Will keep thinking. Don't hold your breath!!!! TC

Anonymous said...

The Harvest.

Anonymous said...

It doesn't have to be "The Spring Meadows VISION" is can simply be "VISION." The references to "update" or "news" or "edifier" or "informer" are too 1) outmoded; and b) plain jane (or run of the mill) and don't fit with the congregation's dynamic. The references to meadows or spring fall outside the congregations vision and true freshness and are to un-creative. The name "Spring Meadows" is a simple reference, not a mantra. The tagline, however, is more of a mantra; which is why "VISION" fits much more succinctly with the Spring Meadows congregation and its vision.

Anonymous said...

My suggestion for the name of the bulletin is "Reach". I think we need to try to reach out to one another, to our community, and to our Lord.

mb

Anonymous said...

Pizza Anyone?

Anonymous said...

There are several names I like here that I have read like Reach and Fields of Gold. The Planter is pretty good too. How about 20/20 VISION or VISION 20/20? We really need to think hard on this one since this name will stick for many years!!!

Anonymous said...

I would like to cast a vote for OTHER....I am sure that there is a name there that could be good! How about FORESIGHT? The act of looking forward or a view forward.

bridge said...

I like a combo of anonymous's "The Harvest" with a "Spring Meadow" prefix or suffix:

The Spring Meadow Harvest
or
The Harvest of Spring Meadow

And you could do a really nifty font treatment emphasizing *Harvest*