Friday, June 01, 2007

EPIC!


If you only read one book this year---my, if you only read one book the rest of your life! WOW! "EPIC - The Story God Is Telling" is stupendous. I’ve read hundreds-try to read 65 a year.

I most always read with a highlighter and pen in my hand. Marking, making notes, agreeing, arguing. When I find a quote I like I put a "star" out beside it. If it a real good quote I put 2 "stars". If I think I may use it sometime I will put 3 "stars". 4 and 5 "star" quotes rarely come along. In 25 years of reading this was I've NEVER a six star quote before now! I think in this book I put 3.

This is a book that men will enjoy (most every man I know would thrill at this one). I don’t know how women will respond to this but every man NEEDS to read this! WOW.

I want to buy a copy for everyone I know!!! You can find it pretty inexpensive on Amazon BUT you may want to spend a couple of extra dollars and go buy it NOW. And you will read it - you will not want to put it down. It is a short read - you'll be most upset because this tremendous story ends too soon. A small format and about 100 brief pages.


EPIC has the potential to help you understand what God is doing in your life. It is a story - a powerful one at that.

I must say EPIC is a grand book.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dale, I was wondering what to get George for Fathers day... this sounds like just the right thing.Thanks for the HINT.
love ya Cuz, Brenda

Anonymous said...

Okay Dale...I have made a vow to myself that I would not run out and get all the books I've heard you say were great....mainly because I can't spend that much money...ha-ha...but you've convinced me to go get this one.
Keep blogging, my friend.

Andy

Heather said...

I'm with Brenda above. I needed a Father's Day gift for my dad and I think I just found it. Hey, you should get a commission from Amazon!

Anonymous said...

That COULD be arranged, you know....setup an account with Amazon and use a clickable link every time you mention Amazon and you'd get paid on a commission-basis.

Mark said...

Actually, I haven't read the book but there's also a video available with John Eldridge presenting the contents of the book. It even comes with some questions and reproducible materials for discussion groups.

I think this book/video had the greatest way of presenting the Trinity that I've ever seen. Trinity is a hard thing to teach, but he presents it in a way that feels alive and exciting.

Sometimes Eldridge tends to be kind of hard on traditional ecclesial structures and functions. I also wish he would have spent a little more time on the Biblical story and a little less time in Dante and Milton. (Again, I'm referring to the video...haven't read the book)

Even so, he presents a great way to picture yourself as a part of God's larger story. I was completely captivated by it, and had my view of reality impacted in a wonderful way.

Mark <><