Tuesday, June 13, 2006

NAME CHANGE ALERT!!!

So I'm changing the BLOG name and here is the long story as to why...
It was 1982, Melanie and I had just married, and I was beginning my first work with a congregation. It would be unfair for me to say anything but good stuff about those folks on whom I was first "unleashed." I was looking for a name for a bulletin column. I'd seen a couple of articles by Jim Bill McInteer, a big-name preacher in Nashville that I'd never met or heard in person but whose bulletin (though not strong aesthetically) and though I knew no one at "his congregation," I read with interest each week (who would have ever dreamed I'd follow him in one of his editorships - I still find it hard to believe that I've been so blessed). And there was a young fellow over in the little "map dot" called Centerville, named Paul Rogers, whose Family Matters seemed at times a cool drink in a desert of negativism. I wanted to write like them aninformative article that was personal and highlighted the good. I wanted it to be my personal message to every member and reader every week: Sort of a personal visit - a time to communicate news and other stuff that is rather casual, sometimes fun and sometimes serious.
I turned to my brother (as I so often have) who had just begun preaching for the Midway church near Decatur, Alabama, and asked for suggestions. He used "the Tie That Binds" and had a neat graphic that looked like a snowflake until close investigation revealed it was actually a group of people holding hands in a circle - very creative. He left that behind years ago - but it stuck with me. I've thought of changing it so many, many times. Some have read us and accused us of a Pollyanna attitude ("every week," they argue, "can't be great." It can and is if we are worshipping God and trusting that He is in control in the universe). Others have read to find errors (but with the proofers around here that's been quite a task they've assigned themselves). For the most part people have expressed their appreciation for these ramblings. "The Tie" is rather rare in that it has been produced 52 times a year...that's right. Most take a week or two off, but for roughly 25 years I've written "The Tie" every week. That's over 1250 "Tie's"! That is over a half million words. Rarely have we struggled to find something good and encouraging to share.
Next week will be our "Tie" in AIM. I'll say some Thanks there and then. AIM will continue - it was before I was born and, I suspect that if the Lord tarries, it will continue even after my body is in the cold clay.
At Spring Meadows we may never produce a paper mailed weekly bulletin but may go totally to an e-bulletin. So for the real immediate future - we'll be posting here - "The Blog That Binds". I know that's a little cheesey but a lot of BLOGS are.
IF YOU WANT TO BE E-MAILED WHEN WE UPDATE THIS BLOG JUST SEND ME AN E-MAIL REQUESTING THAT.

Here are two things you can do to follow our writing.
1. If you want the hard (paper) copy, if we ever publish one, write your name and the address you want it sent to on a 3X5 card and give it or mail it to me in the next five days to Dale Jenkins, 1032 Saint Andrews Place, Nashville, TN 37204.
2. If you want the e-bulletin - "Vision" send me an e-mail in the next five days to dale@edge.net and when we get it going we'll send you the notices.
In the mean time, feel free to check in here at the blogspot - it's a lot of fun - but I guarantee you it will never be proofed as well as AIM :-).

No comments: