Friday, June 09, 2006

"Finding Tombstones"

Dad called (a treat too rare) I could tell it had been a rough day. He had gotten mom's grave marker in and thought it was too small, not nice enough. So next time I was passing through Birmingham I thought I'd stop and see it. Call him and assure him he had done good.

We only had an hour or so, but that would be enough time for us to jump off the interstate and pay a quick visit, at best, to see the marker dad had put on mom's tomb.

So there we were, off I-59 at Jefferson Memorial Gardens looking. We (Melanie and I) knew we had the right spot for dad had selected, in the hectic moments following her unexpected death, a perfect spot. On the side of a hill, overlooking - a wonderful shopping area (I think mom would have laughed!). Looking and not finding. It was quite disconcerting. And as I walked up and down and looked all around I was reminded of Mary in the garden and the tomb of Jesus, looking but not finding.

You remember the words?

John 20
"1Now the first day of the week Mary Magdalene went to the tomb early, while it was still dark, and saw that the stone had been taken away from the tomb. 2Then she ran and came to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and said to them, "They have taken away the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid Him."

I suppose I'd never really thought about how Mary must have felt on the morning...it didn't matter how much Jesus had talked about resurrectiontion. Nobody comes back from the dead! I suppose that is why after infallibleable proofs of resurrectiontion these dedicated disciples were willing to die for Him. They knew, beyond a doubt that He was who He claimed to be - The very Son of God. "Blessed are those who have not seen, yet have believed." Their witness to us becofoundation'sonal in our belief! Thank God.

BTW: We finally gave up, called dad and he pointed out just the spot of mom's grave. I suppose that's what those angels did that day in a way - they came from the Father and pointed out just where the Son now was!

1 comment:

Tesney said...

Dale,
Miss Mamie was such a gem. My mom said she was "genteel" which I thought was a great word to describe her. The dictionary says it means "refined in manner, well-bred and polite; free from vulgarity or rudeness." Could that be any more descriptive of your mom? I have so many fond memories of talking with her during your dad's week at camp. I can only imagine how happy she is to be with Jesus.
Tesney