Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A "rare" guest blogpost...

As you know, I very rarely post blogs from others writing but this one is worth a quick read. Scott Gleaves is the preacher at Granny White. A number of his thoughts made me think of things I stressed to my sons about happiness when they were growing up. God's ultimate interest is in our faithfulness and if I have to be unhappy temporarily in order to fulfill His supreme purpose, so be it, but too many use that as an excuse not to monitor their own joy. Thanks Scott for your thoughts on this.

How to Enjoy Life G. Scott Gleaves

God has always been interested in our personal happiness (John 10:10). The problem with happiness is that it's elusive when it's pursued. In other words, happiness is a by-product of doing something else. Here are a few suggestions about happiness that seem practical and possible:

1. Learn to enjoy life. Happiness is connected to the journey, not the destination. Until we can enjoy the daily experiences of life, we will never enter into a state of happiness.

2. Be responsible for your own happiness. If we shift the responsibility of happiness to someone other than ourselves, we'll end up disappointed and frustrated. I cannot ultimately be responsible for my
spouse's happiness. She must be responsible for her own happiness. I will
do every thing I can to contribute to her happiness, but I can't make her a happy person. This might be the reason why so many relationships fail.
People want others to make them happy. That's immature and unfair. I'm happy because I choose to be that way. I'm happy because I choose to serve God and others. Too much self-indulgence leads one away from true happiness.

3. Associate with happy people. The Bible says, "Bad company corrupts good morals" (1 Corinthians 15:33). We become like the people we hang
around. If you're feeling miserable, pessimistic, and cynical about life,
you might need to seek out people who are optimistic, joyful, and grateful.
You might need to hang around God a little more than you have lately Prayers and Encouragement

No comments: