Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Pre-Non-Anti Denominational...

Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life religious landscape survey made front-page news across the nation this week and appeared in several of the websites, blogs and papers I read.

Perhaps most significant is that mainline denominational groups are dieing, loosing members at alarming rates. In the mean time non-denominational church are the ones growing.

Americans no longer are just "Baptists" or "Methodists" 'cause granddad was. 44% say they are not tied to the church of their childhood. Did you hear that? 44%!

They are looking for authentic religion and see the hierarchy and layers of nonsensical traditions as nothing more than burdens - foolish ones at that.

I haven't heard news this good since visiting Russia in the mid-80's. Folks, churches of Christ, if we will be what we our plea claims are positioned to grow like NEVER before. We have the opportunity to become more relevant than in generations. Or not.

It's heartrending that in the very moment when people are flocking to non-denominational churches (and yes, I know all that implies) it seems some in our fellowship are running helter-skelter toward denominationalism. They are mimicking the denominational world as they jettison, ignore and refuse to discuss the things that are of priority, like the authority of the scriptures in worship, church polity and the singular nature of the church. I want to ask the most radical of them "Do you still even believe the Scriptures or has the latest "trend" become your 'Bible'?" They belittle the past and make jest of men who's heart's desire was to speak God's Word clearly. They pretend to have it all figured out - oftentimes hiding behind a degree from some prestigious seminary or school of theology (where often the teachers themselves do not even believe in the inspiration of the Scriptures). And those who follow these folks often do it for the smooth speech and sharp intellect of these or because of the ineptitude of the "right".

Just as deflating, some of our right leaning brethren seem to want to denominationalize the church by setting a prescribed agenda based on reliving glory days of old. They have deified the past as surely as the other have change. If it is a method and it works, embrace it. If it is a matter of opinion leave it in that realm. Don't judge brothers over matters of opinion nor shut doors just because the congregation you worship at is not going to embrace a practice (even if you think it an unwise one) decides to in a matter of judgment. Some of you are making easy sport of our brotherhood and I'm tempted to question if you sincerely love the brotherhood (remember that's a command). The word for those who cut brethren off over matters of opinion is "legalists". And Jesus had no words more harsh than to those who made laws over and above God's Law. How crazy when some in our brotherhood are going to far to push over the edge a brother or group for some matter of judgment. Are you too a know-it-all? Don't make sport of striking off brothers and sisters who are tying to do right!

I love my brethren on both sides of these issues, and I fear the very words written here will not serve their intent but would only cause those angry or misunderstanding. But brethren, let us not rend the church of our Lord in a time of great opportunity. Let's not shut doors that are opening and create a negative imagine for Her over our pet agendas and/or preferences.

What a time to live in - let's not squander it! Reach out with the love of the Lord in His joy with His good news. If someone is trying to break from traditions of men, getting closer to the Word of God...applaud the good. Commend the desire and effort.

Non-denominational Christianity, who'd ever thought it'd work? Well, other than God.

13 comments:

Mark said...

I heard Randy Harris comment one time on the rapidly growing "non-denominational" churches around us. He said, "They're stealing our lines! We've been doing what they're trying to do for 200 years!"

Our message will definitely speak to this culture. In evangelistic conversations, the non-denominational approach is something I tend to bring up. People find it really refreshing and appealing. And I agree. We've got some real strong points in this area.

Dustin said...

I too saw the Pew survey you referenced and had the same thoughts regarding the churches of Christ. I recently reviewed some of the early Restoration papers and was struck by just how relevant and appropriate their plea has remained. As a result I have found myself reiterating this theme in many of my lessons in an attempt to affirm our congregation's identity At such a time as this, we ought to be heralding these cries from the rooftops.
Perhaps the major obstacle we face in making this claim is our own recent history, in which our "non-denominational" tag has been marginalized by a "majority rules" mentality. In order to be truly non-denominational, we must be willing to allow Scriptural diversity without nagging individual congregations to "get back in line."

Jeff Goff said...

That's exciting news Dale. Thanks for the information and the encouragement that I get from your blog.

Jonathan Jones II said...

This is a great post! Although I had not seen any stats on this point, I have often thought that the plea for undenominational Christianity is more appealing to the masses of people today than ever! The popularity of community churches and Bible churches demonstrate that people are tired of the rituals, creeds, and dogmas of man-made religion. Postmodern people are craving genuine relationships and spirituality. Let's take full advantage of it!

Matthew said...

Mark, good comment, I have always felt that the church has a powerful message in today's culture, and we have allowed others to take advantage of this. Willow Creek wanted to be a Acts 2 church, mmmm sounds like us. These non-denominational churches, sounds like our plea again. We have a great message, let us ring it out. Also, Dale I wrote an article on the non-denominational nature of the church, which I argued we are anti-denominational, so I like the terms you used.

David Courington said...

Your comments are on target, as usual. It is disturbing that we continue to have to deal with the same issues that have hampered us for so many years- those on the left who have left the Bible and its righteous precepts, and those on the right, who think they have the right to make laws for everyone, even in matters of personal scruples.

Unknown said...

If only the Church of Christ were not a denomination...

A few years ago our local paper did a big story on the rapid growth of non-denominational churches. Not a single COC was included in the story. I wonder why.

One time a friend at college (state college) asked me where I went to church.I told her that I attended a non-denominational church. I didn't mention that it happened to be a COC as well. Later in the conversation she told me that a member of the Church of Christ told her that she was going to hell for being a member of a Nazarene church and asked me what It though of that.I told her that classifying and judging others is the outgrowth of denominationalism.

How sad that we have become what we set out to demolish.

Dale's Spot said...

I a couple of years posting I don't think I have ever commented on my own blog...and I don't plan on making it a habit.

But Joel, your comment concerns me in a number of ways. It smacks of the leftist liberalism that is so detestable. That which belittles and by it's very nature "denominates" the church.

Did you even read my post before commenting. Just because the liberals in our brotherhood call the church a denomination does not make it so.

Just because we are a brotherhood and associated together in the churches of Christ does not make us a denomination. Yes, there are some who in making laws where God has not have so denominated themselves - but that does not make the church one.

Have you "outed" yourself with your first sentence. Should we all bow down, "Joel has in one sentence stated the Church of Christ IS IN FACT a denomination...therefore it must be." NO. Fact is be it Rubel, or Lynn, Joe or Jeff, them calling the church a denomination does not make it so.

Peter instructed "love the brotherhood" he was defining a grouping of sorts but not a denomination. Paul said "the churches of Christ salute you" he was speaking of distinct bodies of believers, but not a denomination. When we associate ourselves with others who have the desire to be simple New Testament Christians that does not make us a denomination.

Just because we are not listed under "nondenominational" churches in the yellow pages does not make us a denomination - that is the silliest of arguments - sorry.

And just because you have a friend who had a person make a statement without any tact to her does not make us a denomination.

Joel, I love the church. It is the Lord's and neither you nor I have the right to turn her into a denomination. That is not the Lord's will nor is it the will of any who love it.

Unknown said...

Dale,I agree with Marks comments that the message of non-denominational Christianity is very appealing and is as relevant today as it has ever been. But it's quite telling that we are not recognized as a non-denominational fellowship by the general public. I never mentioned the "liberals in our brotherhood".We are talking about the average person. I think we need to ask ourselves some serious questions.Why is it that the general public does not recognize us as a non-denominational fellowship? Do we really believe in non-denominationalism ourselves? Are we willing to reach out and embrace Christians of other traditions or are we just going to label (denominate) ourselves as the only Christians and write off the rest of the Christian world as outsiders. If you want to test our commitment to a non-denominationl message, just try naming your church by another biblical name other than "Church of Christ".

Don't misread me here, I love the Body of Christ. That includes those who attend Churches of Christ and those who attend other churches.

Peace.

Dale's Spot said...

Mark's comment is the very point of the original blog. That this is good news for us. Strange that you agree with Mark's comment but seems to take somewhat of issue with mine. Could it possibly be that Mark quotes Randy Harris? Just asking.

That the world does not recognize us as non-denominational is no reason to jettison our brotherhood. If so, then are we obligated to forfeit everything that the world at large does not recognize that/or why we teach so?

I believe in non-denominational Christianity which means I do not recognize denominations. I give it to you that by the grace of God some who are in denominational groups are probably within the grace of God (thought it is not mine to judge) but that could only be for those who have accepted God's grace. I do believe that a person must become a Christian in the same way that those who are recognized as Christians when the church was born became Christians. If you intend to by the teaching of men frustrate the grace of God then I don't know. Who exactly do you mean when you say "other churches" - do you speak of those who have been sprinkled but never immersed (do you know more than God on this?), do you include Unitarians, Catholics - how about Seventh Day Adventists? What about Mormans (they believe in Christ)? What about Hindus and Muslems? What gives you the right to pick and choose? Yes, any person who has loved Jesus enough to do what He said is my brother or sister...but what exactly are you saying?

And just for good measure - I use many biblical names to refer to our Family. I know many don't like it but there is something in a name - I do think it is nice to have some sort of name or symbol that identifies where Christians are worshiping and I don't think to put a sign out front that says Joe's Bar and Grill and just hope people find it would be helpful. I know people today cringe at any sort of labeling - but when the recipe calls for a can of chicken broth and I open the cabinet I want a label, so I don't pick up a can of tomato sauce. Labels sometimes do aid us a little.

I'm not wanting a fight. But I'm not sure 1. you're not looking for one and 2. what your point is exactly - it doesn't sound like you are pulling for unity of God's People.

Unknown said...

I have a good friend who is a leader of a church here in my hometown. They take the Lord's Supper every Sunday, they baptize for the forgiveness of sins, they have elders and deacons and they practice acappella singing. It might surprise many to know that this church is identified with the Southern Baptist heritage and my friend is a professor at Union University.

The problem I have with denominationalism is that we (all Christians) let the names on our church buildings keep us apart. It's not just "them" doing it. It's me too. I have to ask myself,how comfortable would I be attending a church that had all of the elements that I'm theologically comfortable with but uses a different name. I'd like to think that I have the integrity to follow the bible in making these decisions but in all honesty, I struggle with demoninationalism too. Perhaps I'm the only one in our heritage that feels this way.

Dale's Spot said...

Thank you. You are not alone in this. I encourage every effort to be true to God's Word and would encourage their's as well.

Caleb O'Hara said...

Dale you ask, "I want to ask the most radical of them Do you still even believe the Scriptures." The answer is no. They have a washed up, washed out, patheticly low view of the inspiration and authority of the Scriptures. And ultimately it's at the heart of a lot of the problems we are facing.