Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Why Do You Wait?

"Why do you wait dear brother, oh why do you tarry so long. The Savior is waiting to give you, a place in His sanctified home..." Remember that strong old song?

I'm sure it's not a new question, in fact I've heard it for years myself, but it came up again recently. When a person decides they want to be baptized shouldn't they do it immediately?

I remember years ago when I'd direct camp invariably we'd have at least one child who would come to camp knowing that they were going to be baptized there. They'd decided a month or two earlier and wanted to be baptized at camp. On the other hand we'd have a child who would want to be baptized at camp and when we'd call their parents (a wise practice that we learned to do from someone who is wiser than I), and the parent would encourage the child to wait until they got home or later in the week when they could get there.

I'm told that used to people would wait in much the same way until a Gospel Meeting. Which in a rather ironic way would explain why Gospel Meeting in many places are not as effective as they were at one time. Camps have become the modern Gospel Meetings.

BUT: In the Bible it seems that baptism always came immediately upon the acceptance of Jesus as God's Son, or the recognition of sin in one's life. In Acts 2 it was both - they realized that "this same Jesus" was God's Son and that they had with "wicked hands...crucified and slain" Him. In Acts 16 the jail keeper was baptized "the same hour of the night". In Acts 8 the nobleman from Ethiopia was immersed, it appears, as soon as he saw water, after having Christ preached to him.

BUT: Believing what I believe (and I imagine most who follow this blog) about baptism and the significant step that it is - that is believing what the scriptures teach (Acts 2:38; 1 Peter 3:21; etc) - we've said it is the most important decision we make in life. And that day is the most important day of the person being baptized life. So would you missed the most important day of your child's life? And that question might raise a couple of more: Is a child ready to make such a decision - we don't send 10 year old's out into the world with cars, guns or wedding licenses. LaGard railed on this "green house" effect in "Radical Restoration". While LaGard made some very valid points, how do you sit a child in services of the church for week after week and have them hear lesson after lesson of how important baptism is from people holding the Word of God and telling you this is what God wants for your life and that without it a person will be lost and expect them not to want to be baptized. By the time I was 10 years old I'd heard the plan of salvation from the pulpit at services roughly 2000 times. The "age of accountability" - well, that's another blog for another day - one friend jokingly says that if the child's feet can't touch the bottom of the baptistery then they're too young! There's a lot you can do to help assure your child is prepared when they are ready to become a Christian (including my favorite of having them write a paper about why they want to be baptized - saving that paper for them to read later if the question should come up if they were ready), but the bottom line might be that when they are ready there isn't much you could do to keep them from it or convincing them to wait!

Another issue might be the "helicopter parents" of today. There are parents who think that their child will be warped if they (the parents) miss any event of their child's life! I sometimes wonder if that is more warping than the other. Trust me parents, be there if you can...but if you miss one T-ball game or social your child can still eventually function as an adult!!

The other question: Is that really the most important day? In a sense, yes. But isn't that mentality the same that leads people to think that if they've been put under the water they are fine and no need to really continue to grow? Wouldn't it perhaps be more important to teach that every day after that day becomes increasingly more significant. It is our attempt at faithful living for and faithful loving of God coupled with His grace that is required?

So would you wait? Would you be upset if your child didn't wait for a time you could be there (I heard of one parent who demanded the preacher baptize her little boy a second time because she wasn't there)? I've got a lot more thoughts on all of this but I'd like to hear yours...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always thought that there is a modern day tendancy to make this event be about the one being baptized and the one doing the baptizing instead of about salvation. My children didn't have a dad around to baptize them. When they were very young, since such emphasis had been placed on how wonderful it was for dad to baptize his child and his dad baptized him and his dad him ad nauseum, one of them actually thought they would never be able to be baptized because they had no father to participate and make this a "wonderful" event. Refocus, please, "eyes on Christ, eyes on Christ, eyes on Christ."

Heather said...

I will never forget the night I made that decision. It was in the middle of the week and I told my parents I was ready. We called our minister, (a great man by the name of Dale Jenkins!!), headed down Hwy. 43 South to the Hamilton Church of Christ, were greeted by other church members that always showed up at the building no matter what time or day, and celebrated my important decision. I've always been a "don't wait" person. When you truly feel you are ready, you need to do it if you are truly ready and you understand what you are doing.

DRM said...

In Acts 8:36 the question was better phrased:

"Look, here is water. Why shouldn't I be baptized?"

God is a pretty smart guy: he knew that we humans like symbolism. And in that, He knew that when we came to such a HUGE point of change in our lives, we needed a physical act to properly represent the spiritual and emotional metamorphosis that was taking place.

Recognizing why God gave us baptism, I don't think there is any question that baptism should take place as soon as the person recognizes that God has called them.

I think the Bible is pretty clear about the perils of failing to heed God's call.


Myself, I was baptized in a cold mountain creek at a spring youth retreat by the glow of headlights when I was 12 years old. It wasn't "ideal" conditions, and my parents weren't there to witness it - but those things are not what is important.

That night, I recognized God's call. And recognizing that call, I could not deny it or deny that God wanted me YESTERDAY - so I'd better hurry up and get with HIS program (lol). As with the eunuch, my choice was clear:
"Look, here is water. Why shouldn't I be baptized?"

Anonymous said...

I have many thoughts and opinions, so here goes...I was raised as a baptist: Parents very active( mom organist, Daddy in the quartet, sound booth, etc., whole family involved: Went to the baptist school supported by that church from age 5 to 12, and preschool before that. I was around 6 years old when I made the decision to be "saved" and baptized. I had heard and talked about what it meant to be a Christian many, many times, and understood that Jesus was the Son of God and died for my sin...I knew what sin was(lying, stealing, cheating) I heard a sermon, "Brother Dan" was preaching about Jesus on the cross, and I can remember clearly recognizing that I had done wrong and wanted Jesus in my heart at my young age. I was "saved" confessed Christ as my Savior that morning, and baptized that evening. I was young, but my parents didn't wait. I grew older, my mother passed away, and later I had a stepmother that was a member of the Church. Over the years I lived and breathed the Christian life, I prayed, studied my Bible, brought friends to Church, had Christian friends, etc. There is more to the story, but I am sure you don't need to know the details... I studied for 5 years and finally came to the conclusion that I needed to be baptized, again at 18 years old. As soon as I made the decision...I went... A Friday night, just a few people, all very personal. (I was very shy...hard to believe) I kept coming back to the Eunich..."here is water, what's stopping me?" Immediately baptized. It seemed that when people heard and were baptized they were IMMEDIATELY added to the number of the Church. My decision was both emotional and logical. The Bible is very clear about baptism. Emotionally, I rejected my baptist roots and my families religion. Tough decision, but I knew in my heart I had to do what God wanted. ( Of course, if my child chooses to be baptized while at camp, I would move Heaven and earth to get there ASAP.
BLondie

Matthew said...

I have always felt that we sometimes baptize young people too early. It is hard for me to picture making a life changing and commitment choice at 10. You are making a covenant with God, imagine if the kids come to you to be married at ten. What would you say?

www.matthewsblog.waynesborochurchofchrist.org

Anonymous said...

I love hearing these comments. I remember the MOMEENT I made my decision to be Bapitsed. YOUR Grandmother Jenkins assked me after church on a Sunday night,"when are you going to become a Christian?" I started to cry, 12 years old and 6 years in a Christian school with Daily Bible study had me informed. I wanted to be baptised immediately. My parents had another idea. We would have a family fish fry and then go Baptise me. My Mom was raised Baptist but my Dad had gone no where but the church of Christ. So, it was along night. Monday was the longest school day of my LIFE. But then we had company coming for supper.. and we were having fried fish. I could not eat. I was so nervous about waiting. Finally we went to the church building and I was immersed. It was not long until I began to share my faith and there were many in my grade that were baptised that year. I was determined no one else would have to wait as I did. My children know this story and as we talked about being a christian we always discussed the baptisms in the Bible... immediatley, same hour of the night, stright way. So it was not surprising that the day Leah decied to become a Christian it was on Sunday afternoon and we went on to the building and she was baptised just before the evening services. Our Son, was on the phone with his girl friend and she encouraged him not to wait so he was baptised at near midnight and then next night my son in law was at a Tuesday night youth devo when we got a call that He was talking to the Youth Minister and that Jared was sure he was going to be baptised. I got up and started to dress and when the phone rang I knew before I answered. So again for the second night in a row at near midnight he was baptised.
I agree that camp has become the modern Gospel Meeting.
Recently an older Brother in Christ made the comment that he believed God does not hold us accountable until 19 years old. He based that on the fact that the EXODUS those entering into the promise land were those younger than 19 when the journey began. His understand was that GOD knew they were not accountable until that age.I think I want to study on this more but I found that interesting.
I wonder if anyone else reading this would agree or disagree. I know I knew Jesus was the SON of God and that I was a sinner before I was baptised at 12. But I have known so many CAMPERS who later doubted there decission.
Well you asked for our thoughts. You got mine. BJC

Tesney said...

Another question that hasn't been raised is why wouldn't the parents do anything and everything to get to their child's baptism? I know logistically it might be hard to drive several hours in the middle of the night to a camp in the middle of nowhere, but that's exactly what I'd do if I knew Clayton had made the decision to be baptized. He might have to wait a little while, but I'm not one of those believers that subscribes to the "what if you die walking down the aisle" theory so I would be o.k. with that. However, if it meant he would have to wait for several days, weeks, etc. then I would have to reconsider the importance of my being there versus the importance of him responding to the gospel.

DRM said...

I should have a few years before I deal with this issue head on as a parent, but my view:

Me being there for my child's baptism means little. The fact that my child answered God's call - that means everything.

Anonymous said...

Funny you should pose this question. My cousin just came back from camp and was baptized when they came back along with 2 others. She has no religious background, but has come to Bible camp every year for the past 4 years. Last year she made the decision that she wanted to go to Lipscomb and has received her parents approval. This year, after intense Bible study, she has become a Christian!!!!! The family has been praying for this for years, and God has made it happen. This is HUGE for her and her family. Her little sister is now asking questions, and they are having discussions over the phone, until she goes home in a few weeks. Please pray for "Rachel" and her family, and that we can all help where God leads. As for when...The part of me that worries, was a little concerned if something happened on their way home, but the other side was so excited, I didn't care whether she was there or here, I just wanted her to answer GOd's call (as DM says) But, I will say, that our entire family was able to be there, and we were able to video and take pictures to email her parents, and my children got to witness her cousin being baptized by their Uncle, which began questions in our home on a 5 year old level. So, all in all, it all worked for the best.

Anonymous said...

Me again, I left out that she has one more year of high school to go, before she can move here from California. She lives in San Diego, and if anyone knows of a good "traditional" or "conservative" church in that area, please send it to Dale or reply on this blog, so that we can let her know. The one that is less than 10 miles away is a little bit more rock n roll than she has experienced here;) Thanks, Jami

Leah said...

I hadn't visited your blog in a week, because I was at camp. What an awesome topic to come back on. I don't think you should wait, get there if you can, but never discourage. If they know what they need to do for eternal salvation, let them. I've known people who asked, their parents said no, and they never asked again. Remember, we don't have to know everything to become a Christian ...the "meat" comes as we grow as a Christian.

Anonymous said...

One of the absolute most memorable moments of my life is the moment I helped bring my beautiful children into this world. I can think of absolutely no greater joy in this life than being there when they are baptized and join me in the next because, as I told one of them not too long ago when she asked about Heaven, "Honey, it won't be Heaven if you're not there."

On a different note, it is interesting, is it not, that we sing "why do you tarry, oh brother..." and then ask young people to wait when they feel they're ready?