Monday, January 08, 2007

MOMS AND DEATH ROW...

OK, just being honest here - it used to bug me to read all the quotes from presidents and world leaders in every field who talked about the influence of their moms. I thought it was something of a conspiracy created by either moms or Hallmark or politicians to make them look more "normal (now, there's an interesting thought - normal politicians :)).

I understand it. As long as you have a mom, you have a fan. You can say and do anything and she will love you. I'm sure I'm just slow but that thought never smacked me in the head till the very day my mom died. I knew I'd love something special but I suppose it struck me seriously when I realized I'd lost "my fan". I have supporters, people who love me (and my share that hate me too), people who go out of their way to help me, and folks who admire my abilities. I have a wife I'd die for, two sons who know my love for them, a daughter-in-law who I couldn't be prouder of, a father who gave me a name that I can take anywhere and know it is pure, a sister who thinks I'm more talented than I am, a brother who is my best friend (put that in there just for you Missie), nieces and nephews who are going to change the world, church relations both past and present who have made my "working" life pure joy...but I only had one real fan!

You be a murderer on death row and she'll say: "He was always a good boy..."

A fan...someone behind you...we need more fans in the world. There are plenty of people who will upset your apple cart. Even more who could care less about what is happening in your life. But how many encouraging, truly out of the way, I love you with all my heart and am proud of you, encouraging words are spoken? You and I both know that people have enough sorrow, problems and trouble in life already, enough to keep them worried and solemn and sad. Most folks don't need somebody else to "keep them humble." They need someone to lift them up!

So, who will you be a fan of today? Who will you go out of your way to tell today how much you think of them, the work they are doing, the life they are living, the perseverance they are exhibiting? Who? GO TO IT AND DO IT NOW!

Did you? I know you read this and wanted to – wanted to do something neat and nice and encouraging – a word or note...a deed or quote. One more chance…DO IT NOW! When you do - giving freely, openly and lovingly - you'll make a friend for eternity. DO IT NOW!

7 comments:

Debbie said...

My son asked me once if there was anything he could do that was bad enough to make me not love him anymore and I answered, "the worst thing I can think of would be if you killed your sister. But I would still love you and come visit you every Sunday at the prison." I am a fan of your blog. Keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Okay, Dale. I rarely get a free moment to use the computer...and I think I have a few more minutes of quiet! I read up on your blogs, and saw that you wanted us to respond, so you feel as if your are reaching anyone. When I do read up on what you have posted, there is always something that touches me, gives me insight into you and Melanie and family, or makes me think and pray. Your blog is working! Your blog on "Moms and death row..." is very true. My mother died when I was seven, and I have always felt that emptiness, and lack of unconditional love. Daddy's and step-families are just NOT the same. I work extra hard at giving my children the best of myself, and letting them know that...no matter what you do, I will always love you... I am their biggest fan. (and my hubbies, of course;) I first knew the true meaning of that deep love, when my first child was born, understood it at a different level at the loss of my second baby, and so much more with my 3rd child... I didn't know you could ever love someone so much, or be so fulfilled. They make me laugh hysterically, so frustrated I could pull my hair out, and can embarrass the fire out of me, but no matter what, I can't imagine my life without them. No doubt, I am my girl's biggest fan!!! We love you and are SO glad you have felt lead to be with us at Spring Meadows Church of Christ. You have made a huge difference! Your lessons are fun, encouraging, insightful, well thought-out, and scripturally accurate. We look forward to many years of watching our church family grow. Love ya!

jk

Tesney said...

True, true, true...just this week my hairdresser (who also does mom's hair) told me that mom was my biggest fan. It made me feel good, even at age 29! I am definitely already the biggest fan of Clayton. It would break my heart if he ever did something horrible, no doubt, but it wouldn't change my feelings about him. For the record, I wrote a note to our babysitter after reading your blog to tell her how proud I am of her (she's one of Greg's former youth group kids), so your encouragement prompted at least one response.

Anonymous said...

Dale,
Great post!

Only one of your many fans,
Brenda

Heather said...

I definitely agree that moms are our biggest fans. I was blessed with a great mom and I am so thankful for her love and support everyday! Hopefully someday I can do the same for my own children.

Anonymous said...

A shot in the arm.

Thanks-

Jason

Paula Harrington said...

Hey Dale,

I enjoyed your post again. I lost my dad when I was 9 and mom when I was 19. I understand completely what you are saying. I learned early that God was my one parent who would never leave me. Now He is the one I want to be proud of me.

Keep up the great writing.

Sisterly,
Paula