Thursday, August 24, 2006

I've gone National :)

It was a wild week to say the least. It included eventual appearances on Larry King Live and the CBS Early Show.

When I got home from church Wednesday night a good friend from Hamilton had called and said for me to call her back - quick. I did. She asked if I'd seen John Karr on the news. And, yes, I'd heard it mentioned that they had made an arrest in the Ramsey case, but, you know how it is, you listen and sometimes don't hear. He had been arrested in Asia - I didn't expect to know him. But as soon as I saw that face I knew, it was John Karr, the rather odd guy who had shown up on a number of Sunday nights at the congregation when I preached in Hamilton.

I got a call from a paper in Denver on Thursday night then. It really caught me off guard. I diidn't remember a whole lot about him and definitely no timeline. I did remember that he was really really strange. And I did remember that Red DiLorian.

After the call I thought, "well, I might have another call" so I pulled out old files, started writing what I could remember. Then Friday morning the secretary in Hamilton called and told me Dateline, Bill O'Rilley, The Larry King Show and On the Record had all called trying to find me. Friday about 3 "On the Record" called. They asked a bunch of questions and then asked if I would be on the show that night. I said, "I really don't think I have much to contribute to this story" They said we think you do and I told them I would be willing to do it. They said they would send a limo to pick me up about 8. Wow, a limo. Then about 4 they called back and said they didn't need me. I laughed - there goes my 15 minutes of fame J. Then about 10 minutes later the phone rang and it was a lady from New York who was in California and asked if I would do Larry King Live that night. I agreed and went to a studio over in the Metro Center to do the show (no limo). I asked that they not belittle the town of Hamilton or the church there, that I loved them both and that they just refer to me as Dale and not Pastor or Reverend. Melanie said I did good, so I guess I did.

I then got a called from American Media and later that night I got one from "Entertainment Tonight", how strange Late Saturday night I got a call from People Magazine (I was quoted in the eventual People Magazine article on the story).

It was quiet for a few days and I thought all this had passed over then Friday morning I got a call from CBS Early Show and taped an interview with them that I never saw but understand aired nationally today (Monday). Then today I got a call from a guy who does a show in New York for an eventual interview.

How strange this has all been. From the beginning I've told them all that I really didn't think I had anything to contribute to the story but that I'd be willing to talk to them. I've tried to be a good representative of Christ and His church hoping that perhaps something I said could be used to glorify Him and bring positive recognition to His Kingdom.

And, I've said since I first saw his face: "I wouldn't be surprised if he did this...but more, I wouldn't be surprised if he had made it up and convinced himself that he did it."

Now for a little fun:

I got the following e-mail from my Uncle Dan Saturday night:

>"Now that Karr has made you famous and is selling rights to a book and
>movie, here's the question. Who do you think should play you in the
>movie? Who best could portray your unique abilities. Some in my family
>have suggestions; just wonder who you think. Who does Mel. Think?"

Melanie and I laughed and then I sent back this response:

>What a hoot (don't think I've ever typed that word before). Melanie said
>she likes Kevin Costner, although she mentioned that Tom Cruise is
>looking for work . and he is very religious :-). I'd say Robert
>Redford, but he's getting a little old, so I suppose I'd have to settle
>for Larry the Cable Guy.
>
>I'd like to hear who all you have your money on.

Sunday I heard from Dan's son David whose family has their money on either Danny DeVito or Drew Carey.

I've noticed that my story doesn't really have a lot of zip to it so I've also tried to tweak my respond for future media requests, see how you like this:

Here's my new plan: "Pastor Jenkins, I'm calling from _____ (fill in your preferred media outlet here), we understand that John Karr was once a member where you were the pastor." "Yes, we were close. Mel (that's my wife) and I had them over at least once a week. He loved to baby-sit our sons.I guess what I remember most is that Christmas we spent in Colorado. It was great. We skied and made some great memories.it's like we were inseparable.except for that one night where he just all of a sudden disappeared." Now, that story will sell! I'm holding out for a big contract from The Inquirer!"

Keep me in your prayers - obviously, I need them :)

Have a great week. I'll try to post on a couple of other things before the week is over.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Too funny, Dale! What a coincidence--Jody and I had the whole "John Karr movie" discussion when we went to Hamilton last weekend. I told him that I would have to be played by Reese Witherspoon. No one else will do. I'm sure it would be difficult to cast her in a bit part since I didn't really know John Karr.
Why not go all out for you and Melanie... Harrison Ford and Michelle Pfeifer!