Wednesday, October 03, 2007

What they did right...

One of the things that public speaking does is it somewhat forces the speaker to think clearly or at least seriously about things they might not otherwise think about. A few weeks ago it was a high honor to join those who put on the excellent "Polishing the Pulpit" program held this year in Birmingham, Alabama. I was only able to be around for a few hours on the day that I enjoyed speaking a couple of times. One of the sessions I was a part of was a panel of those who have been blessed by Godly parents influence. Among the questions we attempted to answer was: "What did your parents do right?"


Let me give you the six that came to me without hardly thinking:

1. They did the right things right. Mom and dad were not perfect, they were human, but they did the right things right. Right was right and it couldn't be wrong. And we were "expected" to do right!


2. They drilled into us a love and respect for the church Jesus shed His blood for.


3. Mom supported dad's work. I've often said I'm a preacher because of my mom not my dad. While that has various "shades" to it, mom could have destroyed dad's work, instead she always told us, "Your dad is doing the most important work in the world" when he was away.


4. They taught us an unrelenting respect for God's Word. It is God's! It won't leave us along.


5. Dad modeled a tremendous respect for others: regardless of skin color, economic level, educational levels - people deserved respect. It wasn't taught as much as it was modeled. Enemies, those who might attempt us harm...other preachers...


6. They taught us to love the souls of men and women.


I am thankful for my mom (Mamie Inez Frame Jenkins) and my dad (Jerry Austin Jenkins)- but I know your parents did some things right too (I didn't have the only good parents). I'd be interested in seeing your list - I'm sure others would to, so log in a post away!

1 comment:

Gardner Hall said...

I could list a number of things but will content myself with two qualities of my parents, Sewell and Caneta Hall.

(1) They put God first above everything else. I always knew that if there was a conflict between any spiritual activity, now matter how unimportant it might seem to some (such as Wednesday night Bible study) and a social or recreational one, such as an athletic event or school project, I was expected, though not forced, to give precedence to the spiritual.

(2) My father always humbly apologized to me, a kid (!), when he felt he overreacted or made a mistake with me. That taught me the importance of humble confession.

Thanks for this message which provoked both thought and happy memories.