Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I Bit....

OK, I admit it, I'm a little obsessed.  

Many of you who read this blog do not realize how many rather colossal pranks your writer has pulled off. I mean some legendary ones.  Never mean or mean-spirited but real fun and memorable.  I should have known my time was coming.

The last time I had my son, Philip, speak at Spring Meadows I told the church to go up to he and his wife and congratulate them on the new baby - only thing is they are not expecting.  It turned out pretty funny.

I was gone Sunday, preaching in a very enjoyable meeting in Lexington, TN.  One of the things I knew I'd miss while I was away was going out to the property and seeing progress on the building.  We're in a pretty critical stage where it seems something is happening or at least poised to happen every day.  So, I go and make pics and then share them with you.  I was anticipating some really pretty days (which we've had).

So imagine my pain when one of the key guys in the project left me a message Sunday afternoon to call him - it sounded rather urgent.  So I did.  He told me how the inspectors had been out to the property and the "pad" had sunk 4 to 5 inches and it appeared our new building might be on a fault line and per the county's instruction all work had been stopped while they decided how to proceed.  We might have to re-dig and pour the footings, we might have to completely relocate the building putting us back a square one. 

Man, the word is "miserable"!  I was heart sick and began to pray about my attitude. How impatient I had/have been, how perhaps I've put too much stock in the importance of the facility.  

That afternoon, I talked to Melanie and she said it sounded kinda rough, then got a message from one of the elders (I won't tell you his initials, but his name is Tom Campbell - man, I can't wait till he comes up for reaffirmation :)).  

I waited. Nothing the rest of the day Sunday. I did talk to one of our deacons who assured me, bless his soul, it'd all work out).  

Monday - nothing.  Only beautiful sunshine - sunshine that we could have been building in!

Tuesday - by 9:30 I'd had it. I called David back.  

"Well, just checking in - what's the latest?"

David: "You've heard?"

Me: "Heard what? No?"

David: "Yeah you have, you've talked to your son."

Me (confused): "Yes, but he didn't give me any news." 

David: "You've talked to someone."

Me: "No, I haven't..."

David:  "They're supposed to start with the metal today."

Me: "What?"

David: "We got you good didn't we?" (or something alone that line).

Yep, I had it coming.  Seems Philip involved the whole church in this thing.  He told them to set me up!  Spin this story of the work being stopped.  And I bit!  The elders, deacons, David, Philip, even Melanie!  David even called the contractor and let him in on it just in case I called him for an update!  THE GUY who led the closing prayer even prayed I wouldn't take this too hard!!!! Unbelievable! Spring Meadows members - I can't believe not a one of you helped me on this!  Larry and whoever led the closing prayer are the only ones who get even the slightest break :)

James, Dan, Tracy, Andy, Kathy, Tommie, Scott, Larry - I know you all need to send those folks a thank you note.  And I hope you enjoyed this...I'm sure you did.  

Oh, but they better brace themselves...I'll get them all back!  And it will be good.

I'd like to read the best pranks, practical jokes, etc that have been pulled on you.  Comment below.

5 comments:

Mark said...

Wow...for that to happen, you must have deserved it.

Gayle said...

Dale,
I love it... Life is full of many things but nothing like a good prank in fun.
Remember mine your brother and Dan pulled on me? I was running a 102 temp and sick as a dog. I called your Mom to see if she thought Jeff would have been part of a prank or was it for REAL??? she assured me Dan would do that but not JEFF? LOL oh was I ever working on my self... I was devasted. but it was a prank and only told me the Jenkins trait is alive and well.
love you Dale
and you too Jeff and Dan
later, Brenda

Brenda said...

Dale,

I am so glad that someone finally got you! To have so many individuals in on the getting was truly inspiring! It brought tears to my eyes...that would be tears of laughter!

Blessings

Keith McNeely-kmc said...

Dale, best one i can remember involved "soap on a rope" and maywood-do I need to go into detail? keith mcneely

Tom C. said...

Dale:

You would want to seek retribution against someone who was merely following the "teaching" of our preacher last Sunday morning?

How dare you......