Monday, August 27, 2007

"Mom-isms..."

If my mom was still on this earth she would have turned 70 a few days ago. She is eternally young in my mind: even though she had a lot of health problems she had a young, playful spirit. Mom loved to bowl, play volleyball and softball (she could hit the ball a mile) and had a number of 200 games in bowling. While we tormented her with kidding she loved to play board games or cards. And yes, I miss her.

I'm not sure what prompted it but something I said or thought made me start thinking today about my mom's sayings. She had a bundle of them - just thought I'd share some of "her" (my) favorites:

10. My stars and guitars (not sure to this day what that means).

9. (When we were pretty young and us boys were always fighting, as little boys tend to do): "You sit there and don't move a muscle".

8. Your mama's as broke as a convict (we knew that meant she probably only had a couple of hundred dollar bills hidden somewhere :)).

7. You're mama's little angel...

6. You're killing me...(of course, when we weren't being mama's little angels).

5. "mairzy doats and dozy doats and little lambsy divey A kiddle divey, too. Wouldn't you?" (mom sang a lot - silly songs and spiritual songs - I still don't have a clue what this one means).

4. "I can't watch..." (when Alabama would be playing football and it was really close she'd go in the other room so she couldn't see).

3. "Can't never could..."

2. Moms proud of you.

1. If you will ____ (whatever she needed done at the moment) mom will dance at your wedding.

I know I left out some really good ones - she said so many fun and funny things. What were/are your mom's favorite sayings?

6 comments:

Heather said...

I love this post. My mom has a lot of the same sayings and I do the same things during Alabama football games. I go to the other room and shut the door until I know the big play is over. You were very blessed to have such a great mother as she was to have had such wonderful children.

Jeremiah said...

This "mairzy doats" song is so generational. My mom has sung this for years as well. Great post. May God continually bless your work.

Sorrel Dugan said...

Mares eat oats and Does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy. A Kid will eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
My grandmother sings it all the time.........I LOVE it! I found myself singing it to my little precious boy a couple of months ago and have no idea why!!!! :)

Also-I love you a bushel and a peck, a bushel and peck and kiss on the neck! :) I always think, what is my boy going to think about me saying these crazy things all the time! Thanks Dale, hopefully he will have precious memories of my precious memories! :)

Missie said...

hey..the song is Mares eat oats and Does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy..a kid will eat ivy too wouldn't you? I can't believe you didn't know that the song has real words.... but thank you for reminding me of some of her greats-- you did forget- use your head besides something other than a hat rack...to the best of my knowledge NONE of us wore hats..ever...isn't that against Jenkins hair policy???? Also, you forgot- Root Hog or Die....that one was something she told Vic and later told me that she had said it all our lives...I never had heard it until then but afterwards heard it alot...and of course---every every strawberry cake was going to fall if we went near the kitchen and it was always the worst one she ever made!!! I would give up my NutriSystem for a piece of her strawberry cake!!! :) Thank you for being so amazing-- happy birthday yesterday.....I know I already told you but I just wanted to remind your readers that you are a year older! ;) I love you my sweet Phlip Dale! :)

Dale's Spot said...

OK...to all of you who are writing in and saying the song is Mare eat oats...etc. Copy and paste what I typed in I acutally think that I had it correct. But then I could be wrong

Unknown said...

OK, Here's the scoop on Mairzy Doats. Heres the actual copyrighted words:

MAIRZY DOATS
Merry Macs
- words and music by Milton Drake, AI Hoffman and Jerry Livingston
- featured by George Olsen and his Orchestra

I know a ditty nutty as a fruitcake
Goofy as a goon and silly as a loon
Some call it pretty, others call it crazy
But they all sing this tune:

Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you?
Yes! Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you?

If the words sound queer and funny to your ear, a little bit jumbled and jivey
Sing "Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy"

Oh! Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you-oo?
A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you?

(Dale, your Maw-Maw and Paw-Paw had this record at one time.)