Wednesday, May 09, 2007

For Preachers Only...

I'm finishing up a new book but I can't wait to blog it. It will go on my top 10 list! It's a pretty short book - about 200 pages. BUT WOW. Now, you "non-preaching" types probably wouldn't benefit from it but it is rather dramatic in it's effect. My brother has read more books on preaching than anyone I know. I try to read several a year. I want to improve and be better and one way is to read and learn.



Those of you who have heard my attempts at preaching much at all know that I have advocated that any sermon I preach should have at LEAST 5 points. Preferably 7! For many reasons I've followed that pattern.



The book is titled "Communicating For A Change" and is by Andy Stanley (that's Charles Stanley's son) and Lane Jones. Stanley pushes strongly for ONE POINT sermons. And he about has me convinced. He also has some fascinating "outlining" concepts. I may not change my style but I have been VERY challenged and learned a lot. I'd encourage any preacher to investigate it. It will challenge your thinking.

I found the book online for about $10.00.


ADDED TWO HOURS LATER: OK enough jabs on me and number of points! :) One ex-frustrated listeners referenced my 7-22 point sermons. Another thought I always had one for each letter of the alphabet! :) Thanks...funny, none of those folks was bold enough to post their comments! :) Bring 'em on! :)










7 comments:

Debbie said...

I think you should find it gratifing that no one suggested your sermons were without a point. Half full, Dale, half full.

Anonymous said...

OR Pointless! :)

Joey said...

I'm a big fan of the book myself. I don't read as much as I should, but I read every word in less than 2 days. It's definitely helped me to communicate better to young people in Bible Class, etc.

It's also a good experiment to listen to some of Stanley's sermons after reading the book. You see his philosophies come out in his delivery...

Tesney said...

Now I've heard a lot of your sermons, but never one with 22 points...pretty sure I would've checked out after #3. Sounds like a good book; I'm going to tell Greg about it since women can't preach. :)

Jonathan Jones II said...

Dale, thanks for calling my attention to this book. I have just ordered a copy and am looking forward to reading it.

Anonymous said...

Dale,

I stumbled across your website from Richard Mansel's. I read an advertisemt to that book and it fascinated me. I believe Christianity today did an article or two on the one-point lesson in the life of Andy Stanley.

Since reading about that book and researching/looking into the one-point idea of communications, I have found myself preaching that way. Granted, there are sub-points in the message, but I always hit one-point as the overall meaning.

As a result of that, I have found the congregation remembering the sermon better because of the one-point focus.

Just my thoughts

Heather said...

I will always remember your sermon outlines with the bullet points Was is 7 or 70 though? :-)