Tuesday, April 03, 2007

The All Name Hall of Fame.

Names: The report this morning said that new research has revealed that children as young as 12 months who do not respond to their name may be autistic. Names - they mean something to us don't they.

Names: With apologies to Shake sphere "a rose by any other name" might be as sweet but if you asked me to come smell a skunk I'd probably think you'd lost it.

Names: I was blessed with a good name. I've not always kept it up but hope that when the balance is done I will pass on a name still healthy to my sons.

Names: My mom's family has several folks in the "all name hall of fame": There's Inez, and Woollen, and Joleen, and Bervie, and Rey. She has an uncle named Pub and dad has one who goes by Pie, or is it the other way around.

Names: Biblically God seems to think names are important. He named Adam, changed Jacob's name, and Abram's. Saul became Paul and Joses became Barnabas.

Names: Then there's name calling. And for anyone who believes names are not significant imagine crying one of the names of derision you've heard for some societal group in a crowded theater.

Names: Some say the name on the front of the building means nothing - they don't know what they are saying. Names are significant. I would not name a church trying to give glory to God after some man, or doctrine. The name can lie - it may claim to belong to Christ but really not, so a name can deceive, but it also reveals.

Names: Your name and mine. How we behave, what we say and do is significant for someday the Lord will call our name and judge us. Take care of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dale,
I so enjoyed your post. First of all you are my brother and I love you! But we are so uniquely (is that a word???) connected. Hubby was was your Mom's cousin so I know Jolene and Rey thru his family before I knew they connected to your Mom. But the Uncle Pie I know because that is a Bates connection on your Dad's side. I thought maybe I just did not know of 'that' Pie but then you mentioned Pub...his brother and I realized it was Pie and Pud you're talking about, at least I think it is... you had 3 uncles born to your Big Momma she nicked with Pie, Pud and Custard... Custard did not stick he used his given name, Marion. Unfortunantly he Died only a few years ago and that ended the relatives of blood to your Dad on his mothers side. His last Uncle died and all of us were invited to NOT come to the funeral. How sad for your Dad and his brother and Sisters, Dot helped raise his daughter and she was very hurt as was Dan and I would imagine your Dad too. I know I was, but As the Bible Says, to some we are the smell of life unto life and for others we are the smell of death unto death. But names can be fun and a conversation starter. Uncle Pie had a friend who loved him dearly. His nick is Kinky. You would have to ask your Aunt Sparkie why. Grin.. isn't that a funny name? But I have known Sparkie and Pie as long as I have known my own name. I guess you would could say my children are your Double Cousins... First Cousin 3 times removed as our Aunt Ruby would say... As my Dad, Lefty is your dads first cousin they are cousin to you by your moms side and on your dads side thru me.
I have an Aunt Dick who was married to my Uncle Dick.... don't ask... Children call people by strange names some times. It is most important to me what people think of me than what they call me. I don't care what name I am called when God calls, I just want to know its me HE is calling. grin
Spiritually it is of utmost important what we call the Bride of Christ and if it did not make a differance why would there be so many names to choose from in the Bible? Okay this is your blog not mine.. grin I will hush. J has probably quit even reading by now. GRIN Love you Cuz. Me

Anonymous said...

CORRECTION:

I knew I should have typed that in to a word Doc and spell ck it... Double cousin because of I am cousins to your Dad and My Hubby is thru your mom. Love ya, Cuz Me again