Thursday, September 21, 2006

Not what he expected...

A few weeks ago when I was doing interviews on that strange John Karr stuff I got a call late on a Saturday night from People Magazine. Turns out the guy actually is an independent freelance writer that does a lot of stories for People. He grew up in Huntsville, Alabama and his opinions of members of the church of Christ, were, well to state it mildly, very bad. In fact he thought he would be able to expose this narrow-minded mean-spirited group.

That is one of the reasons he started an investigative report following the murder of Matt Winkler. But along the way something happened. He met individuals who are members of the churches of Christ. As he told me late that Saturday night. It was not at all what I expected or, even had hoped. I found the people, every one of them, to be polite, considerate, spiritual and loving. He said, "I've never seen people as supportive in the midst of tragedy. They are really impressive Christians." He then turned his attention to the interviews he had done with members of the church following the John Karr incident. And said, again, I've been impressed with so many members of the church of Christ, their language, how they don't rush to judge others and just the attitudes they have. He went on for several minutes singing the praises of the church of Christ.

I'm not sure why Bobby felt "compelled" to share all of that with me, but I thought you'd want to know. People do notice. While our beliefs are often abused and/or misstated in such a way that they are unpalatable, it is our people (and the church is the people isn't it!) who shine. Reminds me of a verse I read somewhere: "Let your light so shine..." I challenge you, shine on in your work, in your family, in your community, in our congregation and in every area of your life. It makes a difference!


Just thought you might enjoy a little good news about the church! Have a great day.

2 comments:

Heather said...

That's great to hear. It's wonderful to know that Christians are having a positive influence even in such negative circumstances.

David Courington said...

What an encouraging post. Thanks Dale. I am going to run this in my bulletin this week. It reminded me of Genesis 50:20, "But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, in order to bring it about as it is this day, to save many people alive."