Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Dale's Spot

Death Sentence:

An interesting day. Today I got a call from a reporter from the local ABC affiliate. When my secretary told me the call was from a TV reporter I assumed it was someone wanting a sound byte on the DiVinci stuff. Well, I was wrong. They asked if they could come interview me for a story on the death penalty. I said OK. The interview lasted about 30 minutes and when the report came on tonight they used less than two minutes of what I said - they used the only time I studdered and stammered for words - my worst moment of the 30.

I talked of compassion for all involved, of forgiveness and repentance, I talked of appeals and vigilance in being very sure of the facts of a case. I used Romans 13 and Acts 25 as proof of God's support of a death sentence. In Acts 25 Paul in one majestic sentence allows for both the death penalty and the appeals process. But they picked a couple of my weakest quotes in my opinion.

Over the past 20 years I've been interviewed on television more times than I care to count. Its an honor to have such an opportunity. On 9/11 the NBC affiliate called me and did a live interview. To talk to a "wide" audience is a rare opportunity. You'd think by now I would have learned that these interviews rarely are as fruitful as promised.

And it occured to me that my life in this area is like so many lives. I tried but it didn't go as well as I had hoped. Tonight as you pray, pray for those who try and seem to fail and be thankful for a loving God who is the God of the second chance.

4 comments:

Scott said...

Thanks for your thoughts Dale.

Tesney said...

Hi Dale!
Glad to see you're blogging. I'm addicted, so I'll be checking yours regularly. Such a fun way to keep up with friends. Thanks for your congrats. We are all doing well. Can't wait for you and Mel to meet Clayton. Mom keeps me updated on you all so I feel like I'm still in touch with you through her.

I can't believe Philip is getting married and Andrew is a sophomore in college!!! Philip must be getting married in jr. high and Andrew must be really advanced because they are not supposted to be old enough to do those things! Tell them both hello and Philip congrats!

Heather said...

Hey Dale Jenkins,
I accidentally found Tesney's blog through a link from someone else's and I found a link to yours on Tesney's. What a small world when you're online. I don't know if you remember me, but I'm Tommy and Judy Gann's youngest daughter. I'm so glad to hear that your family is doing well. I absolutely cannot believe your boys have grown up. I actually remember changing Andrew's diaper when we were neighbors. It's weird how we forget that kids we haven't seen in a while actually get older.
I'm living in Memphis now with my husband Jody (also from Hamilton-I just can't seem to get away.)
If you guys are ever in H-Town again, maybe I'll run into you. We're there quite often. My sister and her family recently moved into your old home down the street from my parents.
It's always fun to keep track of people and I'm starting to love this blog thing. I actually set up my own today which is quite a feat for me. I'm technically deficient.
It's great to hear you're doing well.

Dale's Spot said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.