Thursday, April 10, 2008

Various News...The week in review...

Today I've got all sorts of good news and info for you:

First up: Sunday at SM.  Great crowds and great preaching - Lonnie Jones did a super job and Andy did wonderful on Sunday night. I've heard nothing but good from the reports from them.  We hit up around 275 for our fourth Sunday straight.  Good stuff.

Second: I enjoyed preaching in a meeting at Glasgow, KY this week. The folks there w
ere wonderful in their encouragement and the meeting went well. There was one response. I totally enjoyed the time that I got to spend with Steve and Blaine the two ministers there.  I got an email from
 Steve this morning and he tells me it was their best attended meeting in 20 years.  I don't believe it was the preaching, even though I think their encouragement made me do better than normal. It was because of the directed decisions of the leadership there. Here's how Steve expressed it to me a couple of weeks ago:  "I also thought I’d tell you that you’re being used as a guinea pig.  Our meeting attendance has been terrible the past several times.  So what the elders have done is they got up before the congregation, told them how the attendance has been poor, and without the support of other congregations, we wouldn’t have had hardly anyone present.  So they challenged the church in this way…They told the congregation that they were not going to do any advertising.  They were going to put the meeting in the hands of our own members.  They said this meeting is for us, not for area congregations, and that since it was our meeting, we needed to attend and invite and make it a success without relying on other people.  Soooo….  We’ll see what happens.  Oh, and the clincher is that Monday night is the Basketball finals." So, sometimes when we put a new spin on what we are doing good things can happen. I appreciate their effort.  

By the way...Steve blogged about the meeting, you can see that at his site: http://preachinghelp.org/?p=28 He even put some audio clips on it - wow, he's good!

He also really got me good.   Those of you who have heard my sermon on being blessed by the Bible might get this one - if not, just enjoy - here's why I don't wear tanktops :)  

I liked that we had fun together and think that contributed a great deal to the success of the meeting...BUT STEVE WATCH OUT, I will get you back!!!!


The luncheon Monday at 21st was wonderful. I will blog on that very soon.

And there has been action at the property this week while I've been away.  We'll have pictures right away on that.

God is good, and I am blessed to serve...

No comments: